Prior to Karadaian Nombu I tried this recipe. Of course I learnt it from my MIL and her cousin last year.Now they are not around so before the actual show I wanted to have a rehearsal and here goes the recipe
Rice Flour : 1 cup (heaped)
Grated Jaggery : 1 cup or more depending upon the sweetness required
Cardomom Powder - 2 Teaspoons or even less
Ghee - 3 Teaspoon
Grated Coconut - 4 Teaspoon or more.The more the coconut you add more the taste is
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Karamani - 2 Teaspoon
- Soak the Karamani for about 4 hours.Discard the water.
- Add little water and pressure cook Karamani for 3 whistles.Keep it aside
- Now dry roast the Rice Flour till it turns red.You should be able to draw kolam with the flour that is the point
- Dissolve Jaggery in water.Keep it for 10 minutes.Strain it to remove any dust particles
- Boil the strained Jaggery water and when it boils add Ghee,Cardomom powder and Coconut and Karamani to it.
- If needed add a pinch of salt
- Also add the roasted rice flour little by little by mixing it.A thick dough will be formed.
- Set it aside and allow it to cool
- Once it is cool, make small balls using the dough
- Flatten the balls and make a small hole in the center like vadai
- Steam the Adai in Idly plates for 15 minutes.Adai will have glossy finish
- I got 13 Adais in this measure
- Serve with butter