Thursday, July 28, 2011

Onion Tamarind Thogayal

Again I learnt this recipe from my Mom- the usual Puli or Tamrind Thogayal.I fried onions and added to it and it is very tasty
It can be mixed with hot rice or used as a side dish to many tiffin items like Arisi Upma, Pidi Kozhatai Pidi Kozhakattai, Dosai etc



Ingredients

Oil and Ghee together - 2 tablespoons

Fry Items I

Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Urad Dhall and Channa Dhall (Kadla Parupu) - together 4 teaspoons (the ratio is according to one's preference)
Red Chillies - 3 or more (I always make less spicy foods)
Hing - a pinch

Fry Item II

Onion - 1 or 2 (finely chopped)

Others

Tamarind - little lesser than lemon sized ball
Salt - as required

Method


1. Heat oil and ghee (optional) in a kadai and fry the items given under "Fry Items I". It should be brown in color.Allow it to cool


2. Meanwhile in the same oil fry the onions till golden brown.You will notice good aroma at this stage because of ghee


3. Now in a mixer grind the "Fry Items I" along with Tamarind and salt and add the fried onions and run it in mixer once more


Variations
1. Can also fry 3-4 pods of garlic along with mustard,dhals and red chillies
2. Can add grated coconut will grinding.It will be tasty









4 comments: